Although washers come in various sizes, styles, and features, there are only two main configurations to choose from, front and top-load washers.
You’ll want to know exactly what the differences are between them to decide which one best fits your needs.
How Top-Load Washers Work
Traditional top-load washers clean clothes by submerging them in water and detergent. As the clothes float in the tub, the agitator rubs against them to remove stains.
Some top-load washers have impellers, which are connected discs at the bottom of the tub that move the laundry around.
Pros and Cons of Top-load Washers
- High-efficiency top-loading washing machines with impellers perform much like front-loader machines.
- A top-load’s agitator or impeller can be hard on clothes, causing wear and tear.
- They usually use more water.
- They require no bending or stooping to load or unload.
- Those with agitators wash clothes quicker and allow you to add clothes after the cycle has begun.
- They may have difficulty cleaning pillows and comforters.
How Front-load Washers Work
Modern front-load washers clean clothes by moving them around through the water. High-efficiency front-loaders don’t have agitators at all but have side paddles that spin the laundry around in both ways.
Pros and Cons of Front-Load Washers
- Their drums move faster so they are more efficient at removing water from the laundry.
- They can be a higher upfront investment.
- They usually use less water.
- Front-load washers can be stacked on top of a dryer, saving more space.
- They are much gentler on clothes.
Choosing Which Washer is Best For You
When deciding on the best washer for you, consider these factors:
- How long it takes to wash?
- How much you can wash at a time?
- The price of the model of the washers.
- How much will you save on energy consumption?
Both types of washers are a great option for your home, but the final decision will be based on what is more efficient for you and your needs.
If you need help buying or choosing a washer, consider Danny’s Appliance! We offer a variety of high-quality models at an affordable cost. Call us today at 401-351-0510 or visit our showroom in Providence.