If you’re doing some spring cleaning this season, why not take the time to evaluate your household appliances and see if they need replacing? This is the perfect time to ensure your essential appliances are up to par!
Washing and drying machines are some of the hardest-working units in any given household, so if yours aren’t working correctly, it may be time for an upgrade. But searching for a replacement can feel overwhelming – especially when you’re buying two appliances in one go!
We’ve taken the stress out of appliance-shopping by compiling this simple guide to washer and dryer buying:
Before You Shop
You’ll need to decide on some important factors before you begin your shopping journey. Be sure to consider:
- Space: Measure your space to ensure the new appliances will fit, especially if you’re upgrading to units with higher capacities. If you’re making the switch to a front-load washer, you’ll need to know if your space allows for the door to fully open. Short on space? Consider a stackable or combination washer and dryer set!
- Top-Load vs. Front-Load: There are two main configurations of washers that you’ll need to choose between. Check out the pros and cons of both top-load and front-load washers here, so you can decide which type is right for your household.
- Capacity: Washing and drying machines last about 10 years, so it’s important to consider your future needs when purchasing new appliances. If you have a growing family, you may want to upgrade to a large-capacity unit. But if your children are getting older and will be moving out soon, opt for a smaller washing machine instead.
Important Features to Consider
When you begin shopping for a washer and dryer, you’ll quickly become overwhelmed by all the different options. Advancements in technology have allowed for appliances to come with countless special features that many people may not even consider. It’s important to know about these features and determine what is right for you based on your specific needs.
- Sound-Dampening: If your appliances are located near a bedroom or main living area, you’ll want to find quieter machines. Look for units with vibration reduction, as well as improved insulation and suspension.
- Energy Efficiency: An energy-efficient washer will use less water and lower temperatures, with a short wash option best for clothes that aren’t too soiled. Some units also have an Auto Weight Sensor, so the length of the wash and dry is based off of the load capacity. If you often have heavily soiled and stained clothes, you’ll want to look for a deep fill feature so it delivers a deeper clean with more water – although it’s less energy-efficient.
- Display: Newer units often feature a digital display, which gives you more control and allows you to better monitor the status of your wash and dry. Some units also connect to WiFi, so if you’re often out and about, you’ll be able to start and stop your laundry remotely.
- Sanitation: Some washers offer a self-clean cycle, which keeps your unit sanitary and reduces the number of times you’ll need to manually clean your unit. Consider units that offer a sanitation cycle if you or a family member has allergies, as this deep clean cycle removes allergens and bacteria.
Purchasing Your Washer and Dryer
Now that you’ve decided on the important features you want in your washer and dryer, it’s time to get shopping. Appliances are a pretty big investment, so consider shopping at a used appliance store. This is a great alternative to buying new, but you’ll need to find a reliable store that sells high-quality units.
Check out reviews on Google and Facebook to determine if the store is reputable or not. Look at used appliance stores that offer warranties on their units, so you won’t end up breaking the bank on a washer dryer combo that will need to be replaced soon after your purchase. Click here to check out more tips on buying used appliances before you begin your search!
If you’re looking to replace your washer and dryer, Danny’s Appliance is a great alternative to the expensive box stores. Danny’s offers next-day delivery in Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts, a free 90-day warranty with each appliance, affordable leasing options through Acima, and so much more! Get started today by visiting our showroom in Providence or giving us a call at 401-351-0510. Let Danny’s help you find the washer and dryer that’s perfect for you!